Breast reduction surgery is a cosmetic procedure in which excess fat and tissues in the breast are removed to reduce its size for cosmetic purposes or to treat some health problems. Large breasts can cause back and neck pain, and some psychological problems for women, so this operation is an appropriate medical solution for these cases.
Breast reduction is one of the most common cosmetic operations, so here are all the details of the operation, conditions, advantages, defects, risks, damages, results, recovery period, prices and cost of the operation in Egypt and Arab countries such as Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco and Qatar.
Breast reduction surgery details
Before performing the breast reduction surgery, you will need to visit the therapist to discuss some issues that will determine the course of the operation. It is important to discuss with the doctor about your concerns or expectations for the operation, so we recommend that you prepare all the questions that you need to answer and discuss them carefully with the plastic surgeon and ask them him in the first meeting.
read also: Newest liposuction devices |Dr. Ali Gaber
What to discuss with a plastic surgeon?
During your meeting with the doctor, your medical history and family history of breast cancer or chronic diseases will be discussed.
- Discussing all options for the operation, including anesthesia, options for the surgical incision, and the treatment and recovery plan.
- The breasts are examined to check the amount of tissue to be removed depending on the size of the new breast you wish to have.
- Knowing the medications that are taken in the case to treat certain diseases and the medications that are prohibited to be taken before breast reduction surgery.
- X-ray of the breast.
Medical examinations before surgery
Before undergoing the breast reduction surgery, the doctor will order some tests to ensure the patient’s health condition, among these tests:
- Cbc complete blood test
- Kidney and liver function check.
- Urine examination.
- Comprehensive chemical assays.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG).
- Mammogram done on the breast.
- Chest X-ray.
There are special cases for which the doctor asks for additional analyzes to be determined according to the patient’s health condition.
Conditions for women’s breast reduction surgery
Breast reduction is not a complex operation that has many conditions. Rather, it is a procedure that suits a large group of women, provided that some important points are achieved, the most important of which are:
- Over 18 years of age to ensure complete breast development.
- Enjoy good health.
- Other methods fail to treat the problem of small breast size.
- The patient suffers from health problems as a result of the large size of the breast, such as (neck pain, nerves, and back vertebrae).
Breast reduction contraindications
There are some cases for which breast reduction is not appropriate, the most important of which are:
- Obesity cases.
- Those who suffer from chest diseases.
- People with heart health problems.
- Pregnant and lactating women.
- People who experience constant fluctuations in weight.
Some things that must be stopped before the breast reduction operation to avoid any complications or risks during or after the operation, including:
- Completely stop smoking for a period of no less than two weeks before and after the operation.
- Stop drinking alcohol.
- Stop taking liquid medications for a period specified by the doctor.
- Stop taking certain herbal medicines and anti-inflammatories to reduce and avoid bleeding risks.
- It is very important to follow the doctor’s instructions carefully before and after the operation to get the best treatment result for breast reduction surgery.
Medical Techniques of Breast Reduction Surgery
One of the latest techniques used in breast reduction surgery is liposuction, which relies on the use of small tubes to suction excess breast fat with high efficiency without causing damage to the surrounding tissues. This is done through small surgical incisions.
This procedure is suitable for women who need to reduce their breasts by a small amount without experiencing surgical scars or visible effects.
Liposuction is also used to treat gynecomastia in men, and it is considered one of the most effective medical methods ever for this problem.
How is breast reduction surgery performed?
The first step of the breast reduction operation begins with general anesthesia of the patient, after which the plastic surgeon or consultant begins the following steps:
- Making a surgical incision in the brown area around the breast towards the bottom of the chest.
- Through this incision, the doctor begins to get rid of the excess fat cells in the breast.
- After getting rid of all the fat and reaching the desired size, the sagging skin is tightened to match the size of the new breast.
- The doctor places tubes to drain the blood and fluid that accumulates in the surgical openings.
- Before closing the incision, the doctor adjusts the position of the nipples in a place suitable for the shape of the new breast.
- Then the plastic surgeon closes the surgical incision with stitches and wraps the chest with medical dressings.
- Breast reduction surgery takes two to three hours in the operating room, depending on the patient’s condition.
Reasons for breast reduction surgery
Women undergo breast reduction surgery for various reasons, including:
- Getting rid of problems caused by breast enlargement (back and neck pain, dermatitis).
- Get a more attractive breast shape consistent with the shape of the body.
- Treatment of the problem of asymmetry of the breasts
- Increase self-confidence by having more attractive breasts.
- Men also undergo this operation to treat the problem of gynecomastia.
- Breast augmentation saggy.
Breast reduction benefits
There are many advantages of breast reduction, both psychologically and physically, among the most important of these benefits:
- Enhancing self-confidence as a result of changing the shape of the breast for the better.
- Breast reduction through liposuction reduces the recovery period.
- Your activity and daily life can be restored within several days of the operation.
- High levels of safety in the process as a result of using the latest sterilization and anti-inflammatories technologies.
- Surgical scars are not visible.
- It does not result in complications or risks to the patient.
- It gives you excellent treatment results without losing the feeling of the chest.